A Comeback Post - The Caledonian Thistle Hotel, Aberdeen

I'd like to start off by apologising for my lack of posts.  I was always told you should never start anything off with an apology, but I feel like I owe it to you all.  I've just started a new job, I've moved out into my own flat, I have no internet... first world problems, eh?

I am now a resident of the 'Granite City' so I thought I'd do a post about the food I was getting in the hotel I lived in whilst finding my flat.  The Thistle Caledonian is smack bang in the centre of Aberdeen, literally 50 yards from Union street and overlooking the beautiful gardens on Union Terrace.

So, as I did with my last hotel food post, I shall do a reel of pictures with descriptions for you to gaze upon and lust for - enjoy!



King prawn linguine with garlic bread.  Juicy prawns served in a slightly spiced tomato sauce with sliced vegetables tossed throughout.





Starter: Scallops served with asparagus spears in a lemon & herb dressing.  Three perfectly cooked scallops sat on a bed of mixed beans, and three aldente asparagus sticks.  This was beautiful, and ordered from the Market Menu.  For my main, I had a medium rare fillet steak with peppercorn sauce - slightly overcooked for my liking though.




Peri peri chicken burger with cheese.  This was quite dry, so I slathered it all in mayonnaise.





Lamb cooked medium rare, served with a red wine jus and moroccan cous cous.  This was beautiful, although some of the lamb was fatty, which I don't like.  For dessert I treated myself to the chocolate trio - milk, white and dark chocolate mousse with chocolate wafer balls on top, and a chocolate centre filling.  Beautiful!




This was grilled salmon in a ginger and black soy sauce, served with udon noodles.  This was my favourite dish of my whole stay - Packed with flavours, but really healthy and filling.





When you order a steak and cheese hoagie, you would presume it would be a bit lighter than most.  This was flakes of steak, drowned in sauce on a bed of caramelised onions and a blanket of melted Emmental cheese.  Served with a crisp side salad, french fries and a side order of perfect onion rings.

Overall, the food at the Thistle was good.  There were a few mishaps here and there, but overall it was a wonderful hotel with a great variety of food to suit all moods.  My only gripe was paying a £5 tray charge for room service... what about delivering a tray costs £5?!




Contact Details:

Caledonian Thistle Hotel
10-14 Union Terrace
Aberdeen
AB10 1WE

Tel: 0871 376 9003

Website: www.thistle.com/The-Caledonian

Wheelchair access: Yes

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Looking forward to some Aberfabby reviews for the next time I'm there.

    I was wondering if you have you been to the Mussel Inn in Edinburgh? Or the branch in Glasgow, although I haven't been to that one. I really can't recommend it highly enough if you like seafood.

    Gail xx

    www.joieforroses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail, no I haven't, although I love seafood! I am still covering the east of Scotland (which hopefully I can do a lot more easily now!) but I shall add it to my to do list :) xx

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments, queries and thoughts! Leave me something good to read, and I'll get back to you :) x